Brooks Rehabilitation Hospital – University Campus
3599 University Blvd South, Jacksonville, Florida 32216
Brain injury is a complex diagnosis affecting individuals of all ages and causing a varied presentation based on injury. This course will review the basics in brain injury to set the stage for a deeper look at primary and secondary impairments, pharmacological management, and rehabilitation for a holistic approach to patient management. As medical advances warrant treatment earlier and with more intense focus, a comprehensive team approach is critical to maximizing patient recovery and reintegration into life over the long-term recovery path. Through lecture and case-based format, this course will provide a systemic approach to management of the client following brain injury.
At the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Associate neuroanatomical pathology with clinical presentation
- List primary and secondary effects of brain injury
- Summarize medical and pharmacological management relative to acute brain injury and promoting recovery
- Describe issues related to the aging brain
- Identify new data and research in brain injury management
- Identify clinical presentation and treatment strategies at all levels of brain injury using the Ranchos Los Amigos scale
- Describe underlying impairments affecting primary functional limitations observed as well as strategies to address and treat thos
- Interpret treatment plans inclusive of outcome measures and behavior shaping strategies for individuals following brain injury
Course Education Level: Introductory
The information presented in this course is clinically relevant for Physical Therapist (PT), Physical Therapist Assistant (PTA), Occupational Therapist (OT), Occupational Therapist Assistants (OTA), and Registered Nurse (RN), Advance Practice Registered Nurse (APRN), and Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) practitioners.
Disclaimer: Registrations from individuals with clinical designations not listed in the intended audience for this course may be subject to removal from the course roster without a full refund. See Brooks IHL Course Policies and Procedures for details at Brooksihl.org. If you are unsure or have questions related to the intended audience, please email CEU@BrooksIHL.org and we will be happy to help clarify!