This course will provide OTs and OTAs with current evidence-based literature that assists practitioners in identifying the appropriate screens, assessments and intervention approaches used for those neurological clients presenting with deficits in functional cognition. Relevant populations include, but are not limited to, ABI, TBI, CVA, NCD and other neurological populations with cognitive impairments impacting occupational performance. This course will include synthesis of current literature regarding cognitive strategies and approaches including use of neurofunctional approach, skill-habit training, and the CO-OP model. Participants will apply the didactic knowledge through use of case studies by demonstrating competency in administration of multiple performance-based cognitive assessments to facilitate integration into practice. Learning outcomes to be assessed by lab participation, class discussion and post-session quiz.
At the end of this presentation, participants will be able to:
- Identify and describe at least 3 cognitive screens and/or assessments used to measure functional cognitive deficits impacting occupational performance
- Explain the purpose of and difference between cognitive screens and cognitive assessments identifying instances in which to use each
- Demonstrate the use of at least 2 performance-based cognitive assessments during simulated lab practice.
- Identify appropriate cognitive intervention strategies for presented clinical scenarios using case studies.
Course Education Level: Introductory
This course has been approved for 4.5 contact hours by the following boards:
- Florida Board of Occupational Therapy
Continuing Education credit for each participant who meets the satisfactory course completion requirements (licensed in FL) will be automatically uploaded to CE Broker, which means the Florida Boards will have record of your attendance, even if you do not have your own personal CE Broker account. Course certificates will be provided at the completion of the course for those that meet the course completion requirements. Certificates will be mailed for courses that include a post-course test.